Tuesday, February 22, 2011

Tomb of the unknown soldier













At Arlington cemetery there is a monument dedicated to the unknown soldiers buried there. It is guarded 24 hours a day, every day of the year, rain or shine. Every hour on the hour a ceremony is performed calling the changing of the guard. I had only heard of this and seeing it in person was something I cannot describe with words. It was incredible and only magnified the feelings I already felt while visiting the cemetery. I am pretty sure there wasn't a dry eye there. They had veterans involved and seeing the young and the old salute together, unified in their cause was something I will never forget.

1 comment:

Jillian said...

It wasn't the best weather when we went here, and they do indeed stick it out.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...