Tuesday, February 22, 2011

Arlington National Cemetery


The view from the top of the cemetery of Washington D.C.

Huge amphitheater in the cemetery used for funerals. All white marble and stunning to look at and walk around.



Since I had never been here before I was not sure what to expect. I knew it was the final resting place for those that served our country but I did not know I would feel so many different emotions.


What was so hard for me, was seeing endless graves and white headstones in every direction as far as the eye can see. I didn't know there were so many. SO many.


I think for the first time in my life it really hit me how many have died for our freedom and to protect our country and the rights we enjoy. I cried so many times walking through the different paths, seeing names and families surrounding memorials dedicated to lost loved one.

I also unfortunately felt anger towards those who have ideas contrary to the foundation of our country. It makes me thankful to be an American and to have life, liberty, freedom and the ability to pursue happiness because of these men.

I also told Brian I felt like anyone who wanted to change the founding morals of this country should take a walk through this special place and see how they felt after looking at all those who died to keep it this way. I bet they would feel differently. How could you not?

1 comment:

Laura {and JR} said...

looks so fun. I love to visit Washington DC. There is so much history and so much to do!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...