Thursday, February 24, 2011

A diamond named hope


While we were at the Smithsonian we saw the famous hope diamond. I dare say I was a little underwhelmed by the whole thing. It was lovely, but I am just more of a fan of yellow, pink, and clear diamonds. For being a diamond it just wasn't that sparkly. But it was cool to see because it is a big historical artifact and history I am into.

Anyways here are some facts about the diamond I did not know. . .

1. The diamond is now 45.52 carats but at one time at its biggest it was a whopping 112 carats.
2. A curse is associated with the diamond and all who touch it.
3. It came from India where it was mined at the Kollar mine in the 1500s.
4. Famous owners are Louis XVI, Marie Antoinette, Harry Winston, and Cartier among many other royals.
5. The most odd use for the diamond was at one time it was placed inside a setting inside a dogs collar!
6. To avoid it being stolen, the exhibit sinks down into the basement and sits in a safe all night.
7. Legend has it that it was stolen from a Indian god and that is why it is cursed.
8. The hope diamond was featured in Titanic the movie.

1 comment:

Jillian said...

Two really random thoughts came to mind with this one: 1. I wonder why we don't see more big huge diamonds around 2. I'm a diamond... not named hope. Nice to meet you ;)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...