Friday, February 18, 2011

Perfection takes work

We had the privilege to go help clean the bountiful temple the other night. It was incredible and inspired some thoughts I wanted to share.

Everyone cleaning the temple wore all white the entire time. Sometimes we talked of spiritual things, and sometimes we walked around in silence. I have always wondered how there never seems to be a speck of dirt inside the temple and how it always seems to be so clean and perfect.

While cleaning Brian and I did lots of different jobs. I dusted every single wall, ledge, crown molding, and surface that dust could land on. But after I pulled away my cloth each time I didn't see any dust. I also cleaned the heater vents and drinking fountain with a toothbrush to remove any dust or debris. There wasn't any to remove. Brian polished chrome, and every fixture, even though there were no spots.

All this began to make me think a little bit. When I clean my house it is because it needs it. Really needs it. The temple didn't need it but yet we were doing it anyway. I wondered and pondered if there were any areas that could use the work more until the expert we were working with said something almost reading my mind. She asked me if I was wondering why we were cleaning a room that was already pretty clean. I kind of laughed a little.

She proceded to tell me that perfection takes work. It takes a little bit of work everyday to maintain the clean and pure so that we don't have to do it all at once. If not done every day, dirt and clutter can build up not noticed until it gets bad. By cleaning it every day we don't give the dirt a chance to stick or ruin anything. Everything gets preserved in its perfect form.

I love how everything in life can have a higher meaning if you search enough. We need to work on ourselves every single day so that the bad doesn't stick to us and we can preserve the good. Perfection takes work. And that is why we are here. To work on us and perfecting ourselves.

I learned so many things that night. It was just what I needed.

The next time you see a temple, you will know how much work and effort goes into it daily so that it stays clean and beautiful.

And if you see it lit up at night know there are good people, volunteers inside working until the wee hours of the morning to honor its purpose by serving.

For more information on Temples visit here.

2 comments:

Jillian said...

Oooooh! I love that insight! Thanks for sharing your--always--beautiful thoughts :)

Laura {and JR} said...

love that!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...