Thursday, February 24, 2011

Lincoln and Ford's Theatre

This was an especially emotional stop for me on our tour around D.C. President Lincoln was my favorite president and I love learning about him.

I didn't even know that Ford's theatre was a stop on our bus tour so it was a pleasant surprise when I heard it.

I was surprised that this old historical theater was on a busy street and right next to a tavern and a strip mall. I guess I always kind of pictured it in a really old fashioned area, and might be kind of isolated.

Inside they had remodeled it so it looked completely different than it did in Lincolns day, and across the street was the house where he was taken after he was shot, and later passed away.

I tried to imagine what it would be like during that time. To see everyone in commotion and his family rushing him across the street to that old house to care for.

It was pretty hard to do with all the cars passing and noise from the bar, and I thought how amazing it was that this place had changed so much in 150 years. If they could only see it today they would hardly recognize it I bet.

1 comment:

Jillian said...

On our senior A capella tour trip we went there and saw the 1776 musical. It was both creepy and cool to see that specific play in that amazing place. Loved it!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...