Tuesday, November 29, 2011

a simple thanksgiving


By the time everything with pops funeral had just finished suddenly Thanksgiving was already upon us.  None of us remembered and by the time we did there was no time to prepare anyways.

It was the Bunkers year but since they were celebrating the holiday in Carlsbad with family we decided to spend it with my family even though we graciously got offers to spend it with many other loved ones.  It just seemed fitting after what we had just gone through days before together.

Dad and I prepared a small turkey and made whatever else we could find for sides.  Mom slept and the kids napped by the fire in the family room, while Brian made us his special pie for dessert.

There was no fancy set table or large feast and I was upset it wasn't lovely enough.  I wanted this day to be special for my Mom, who had just gone through so much and it just wasn't going to happen.

As we sat down to our meal, not dressed in our sunday best, but with worn out expressions when court asked who wanted to go first naming blessings. 

We all looked at her while mom started to cry.  In the midst of these grueling couple of weeks, and trying time for our family, my sister still remembered our tradition to name all that she was thankful for and blessed with at Thanksgiving dinner. 

It was really a lesson for me as I was feeling sad and sorry for my family. As soon as I heard her say that I cried too realizing what I already know.  That there is always so much to be thankful for and so much we are  blessed with, even with the loss of someone so dear.  

As we went around the table hearing each others heartfelt feelings of gratitude I realized that this was the most special and spiritual Thanksgiving we had ever shared together.  In the midst of tragedy we had become even closer as a family and were now better and stronger because of it; a giant blessing in itself.

I am so thankful for a family that loves and supports each other and for parents that have strong good traditions that have stuck with us kids over the years.  I am happy to have learned that if you have your family, and your health you truly have it all.  I am thankful for my sweet sister who made thanksgiving even lovelier than I ever could have just by knowing and reminding us all what matters most.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...